Saturday, June 14, 2008

My new cast!




The ER doctor wanted me to come in to get a new cast once the swelling had gone down. But since we were so far away I had to wait until there was a taxi going to Kampalla before I headed out. So a little over a week after the accident I headed back up to Kampalla and got a new cast. The doctor cut off the old cast with what looked like sharp wrenches - it was not the most smooth cut in the world and it shook my leg a lot which pained me - but I got my new cast! Yee-ha! It is so tight and the leg is still swollen that it pains me now more than it used to. I figure maybe the pain is a good sign because maybe the doctor is forcing it to heal. It's all I can hope. The kids were thrilled that I got a new cast and excited to again sign their names. People stare at me no matter where I go. #1 because I am a Buzungu (a white person) #2 because I have crutches #3 because I have a cast and #4 because there is writings on my cast. I have to explain to everyone that in America we have people sign our casts to say, "get well soon." It is so funny how random adults will come up to me and say, "Sorry... Can I sign your foot!?" So really, the fun of signing casts isn't just for kids - adults everywhere are getting the same joy out of writing their name on someone's leg/foot.
*Oh and the doctor made my day! I don't know how most people are when they see the doctor but this guy loved me! Ha ha. He kept on commenting about how fun I was. He said, "You are very happy for being in so much pain." It probably would have helped to take pain killers after the first night, but I didn't want to load up on the medicine so I just tried to focus on other things. Although it hurt, I was fine. The doctor just made me laugh because he was so thrilled that I was a happy patient!

2 comments:

Alisha LeBaron said...

looks like a lot of fun! but I am so glad that you are home now! Welcome Back!

becky rigby said...

Oh, I want to sign your cast... Maybe when you come spend the night next weekend.