Sunday, June 8, 2008

Dubai - Friday, May 30, 2008



After hearing so much about Dubai before going there I was psyched to see this city. It wasn’t quite what I had expected however. It had many many big, tall buildings and they were designed quite uniquely but I found that it was true, 25% of the world’s crane’s must have been in Dubai because the whole city seemed to be under construction. Within the span of one block I saw maybe 15 cranes. I tried to take pictures of each one as we went on our tour throughout the city but was afraid my memory card will fill up with only cranes and lets be honest, we do have them in the US so although the majority is there, they aren’t that neat.

Perhaps my favorite part of Dubai was stopping at the Persian Gulf and wading through the water. This is the gulf where the Palm Islands are. We could see them from land but couldn’t quite make out the whole Palm Tree theme they had going on. Ha ha. We were by only 7 star hotel in the world though as we waded through the gulf. I believe they said, “$7,000 - $15,000 a night.” All the rooms are two story and have their own butler, Then the restaurant is two stories under water and you eat looking out the windows that are like walls and watch the fish swim past. Our tour guide asked if we wanted to stay there for the night but he wasn’t offering to pay. So we didn’t.

So living in Dubai is expensive. Living in the outer cities is a little cheaper. To live in the city next to Dubai for a two bedroom apartment it is $70,000 a year. Oooiii Right!? So if you want to move there, that’s just rent. Think about it.

My other favorite part was getting henna on my hand. The lady did it in like 3 minutes flat and now, I can almost be mistaken for a local!

No comments: