Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Our first Thanksgiving together. Lovely.

We had a busy weekend as we were driving north to south to east to west back north, even more north, south, and then south again (with a few more north and souths and easts and wests thrown in there).
I started off working my glory job at Hill Air Force Base. Everyone was really antsy to get out of there and celebrate the holidays. Some buildings got out THREE hours early. We were released ONE hour early. I'll take it. I drove separate than the van pool for this very occasion. I rushed my little black Alero home and I drove in a way that would make Mike upset. Even with Thanksgiving traffic I made the 70 miles home in just 50 minutes. Woot. Woot.

We packed and headed to Myton for some local pizza and UNO action with Mike's family. Sadly, because of my sleeping schedule - I headed to bed before ten. (This did get later and later as the weekend wore on.)

Thanksgiving day we woke up, had a yummy French Toast breakfast and headed to the courts. Yay for Roosevelt High Tennis Courts. We took up three of the four courts with some double action going on. Mike and I had never played tennis before. Do you believe that? A first within a first. He actually really impressed me and I can't wait to play with him more. I told him if we would have been playing the past four years (dating time) he could be playing in the US Open by now. Sadly, we haven't so in turn he's not.
We went back and helped prepare some food for later that afternoon. And then....
We ate.

We ate alot.

I won't lie. I was disappointed that they didn't have my grandma's homemade banana pie. Okay, my grandma makes like a gazillion types of pies for Thanksgiving but I like the banana one best. I sent some quick texts to my dear family about the dilemma and I received a text back, "Mission Accomplished." My mom had nabbed me a piece and it would be waiting for me the next day when I arrived "home." YESSSS!

It's bad when you eat so much it's uncomfortable to sit isn't it? Yes. It is. That's what happened. (At this point I know Austin has stopped reading my blog post because it's too long. Oh well. Mike and I will want to remember these moments one day.) We watched Brave while we let the food work its way out of our stomachs.

It was our first time seeing Brave. We wanted to watch it to know if Black Friday shopping would be worth it or not. All we would go for is Brave. It ended up being worth it. A story about a girl who puts off being married because she loves her current life and adventures? Who couldn't love that story? When the time is right, she will get married. It was a story after my own heart.

So we went Black Friday shopping.
I don't want to bore you with all the details. But know this:

- I broke in to all of the cardboard boxes
- I tore through the saran wrap
- I ripped off tape and lifted off the delivery boxes
- I told the Assistant Manager of Wal Mart I was not leaving her side until she helped me
- A few rumors started with me and I heard them come back to me through random people
- While waiting for movies two cops and two Wal Mart employees came to search my stuff
- The clock hit 8 and I didn't even have to wait in line to check out - until Mike needed more stuff. I waited for him. When he came back I still didn't have to wait in line.
- I got Brave
That was all actually on Thursday night. So technically we didn't go Black Friday shopping.

Friday Mike rallied the troops to go shooting clay pigeons.

Then we headed to Logan.

Mike got his hair cut. (Handsome Handsome)
We went out for pizza.

And we played some intense rounds of Farkle (new favorite game).

Saturday morning we woke up super early (blast that 4 am alarm clock)  and when everyone else woke up my mom and dad made us an incredible breakfast of gingerbread waffles with homemade whipped cream and caramel sauce. *Delightful*
Then we caravanned up to Idaho with our permits to cut down our Christmas trees.

Mike found a tree he loved. I saw about twenty, so we settled on his choice. Our first Christmas tree and our first Christmas in our own house as a family. *Sentimental*
 
Annika rode in the truck with us. When we were almost home we commented on how pretty the sunset was. Annika quickly flipped the iPhone to camera and took a photo out the window. Although you can't really see how pretty the sunset is - I love the photo.
And to put any questions to rest about her and the littlest one, I think this says it all:
It was a good day. We were pretty worn out since we can't just get the first great tree we see  - we have to hike to the top of the mountain and then all over. :-) All for good fun.

Afterwards some people went shopping, some people went to the USU basketball game, some people played Blokus and Farkle, some people watched TV/Movies, and some people relaxed in a nice hot bath.

It was another late night which ended the next day with Mickey Mouse, monster truck, and alphabet shaped pancakes.

I can't believe I made it to work the next day.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My word you sure filled your weekend with lots of excitment! It's always fun to be able to get together with both families.

The Crookstons said...

That sounds like such a fun filled Thanksgiving!!!

Jen said...

Your Thanksgiving day sounds so fun! I'm glad you were able to spend time with your family!

KJ said...

I almost stopped reading where you predicted Austin was going to stop... but I didn't because I love you ;) and I love your blog!