Tuesday, November 20, 2012

6 Years

November 16, 2012 marked 6 years of me being home from my LDS mission to Washington DC South. I still think about it and miss it on a daily basis.


I miss talking about the gospel to every.single.person. we saw.
I miss that my sole purpose was to share it.
I miss answering people's questions and searching the scriptures for things I would have never thought about before, so that I could teach them.


Thank goodness for Mike.
Thank goodness I have a companion who is willing to study with me, pray with me, and discuss with me. A companion who reminds me of scripture study and prayer when I fall asleep at 6pm on our couch.
Thank goodness we have goals to work towards and a love of the gospel that we can share.


But it's not really the same.


I have to go to work. I have to focus my attention on jet manuals instead of on sharing the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. 
I have to think about worldly things - finances, vehicles, insurance, etc. Blech!

I hope that me missing it so much will change when we have kids. I just want to teach it again more than anything. I want to start from the beginning and see the plan of salvation click in someone's mind and I want to see how their eyes change when they understand Heavenly Father's plan for families. I want to hear someone pray from the first time again. I want to hear someone tell me that they felt something in their heart that they had never felt before, but they aren't sure what it is. I want to see them make sacrifices and I want to make sacrifices with them because I know blessings are in store. I want to see them develop a new love for their Savior Jesus Christ and I want to see them feel His love and for the first time realize that He does live and that He loves them individually. I can't wait to teach that to our kids. It will probably be all the better too since Mike will be my companion.

Six Years Ago:
Waiting for the train to arrive with commuters from the district. 
President & Sister Wixom and I. Last time I would visit the DC Temple as a missionary.
At the airport. (Our group coming was not this big. We went home with different Elders than we came with since they get to stay 2 years.)
Flying Home.
Side note: Last month, the Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson lowered the age of LDS missionaries. For young men from 19 to 18 and for young girls from 21 to 19. Wow. What an announcement it was. Coworkers and friends began asking me, "Would you have gone at 19?" I think anyone who knew me at CEU knows the answer to this question because for months I was announcing, "26 more months until I can send in my mission papers.... 25 more months until I can send in my mission papers... 24 more months... 23... 22... 21..." until finally I could send in my mission papers and wait for the call. I would have gone. But that would have changed so much in my life. I probably wouldn't have graduated from CEU, I wouldn't have gone to New York to be a nanny twice, and a whole slew of other events/experiences wouldn't have happened that I have come to appreciate and that have had huge impacts on my life and on me learning and growing on my own. I would have gone, but I hate thinking what I would have missed out on. For those that it does apply to - those that can go now - I am excited for them. I am excited for them to have missionary experiences at such a young age and to carry those experiences on throughout their lives as they travel and interact with people from all over. I am excited for them and I only wish that Mike and I could take a sabbatical and go out for a bit right now...

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Oh Jen, the memories! We miss you. I can't believe you have been away for that long already. My how things have changed. We would love to have you back, anytime!