Thursday, March 10, 2011

Scuba Diving Cozumel


Today was absolutely incredible. I started the morning by learning to scuba dive. The Villa Aldora and Aldora swim shop have a mini scuba diving course for people who aren't certified. They give you the opportunity to learn how to scuba dive as well as a chance to get out into the water and scuba dive to decide if you like it or not before paying all that money to get certified. Well... I am convinced that I am now going to get certified.

The class was awesome. It was just me and the dive instructor which made it incredibly awesome because I needed the one on one attention. When I lived in St. George I went spray tanning with Kjersten. When the mist starting coming out I was supposed to hold my breath. But the mist made me feel like I couldn't breath and that made me want to breath more. So I started feeling panicked and well... that was when I decided I don't like feeling suffocated so I am claustrophobic. I was worried about feeling claustrophobic under water and getting panicked and not feeling like I could breath. Ali (the dive instructor) was way awesome and let me take my time getting comfortable before moving on. We started the lesson by her teaching me the rules of scuba diving - breathing, staying safe, and what we would be practicing underwater.

We practiced in the Villa swim pool and then when I felt confident we moved to the ocean. While in the swimming pool I learned how to inflate and deflate my vest, empty my mask if water gets in it (while under water) and learn how to breathe and reattach the mouth piece if it were to get knocked out of my mouth.


Once we were in the ocean things went very smoothly. It was beautiful under the water. As soon as we got to the bottom of the ocean floor (we were 20 feet down) Ali started pointing at something. I couldn't see whatever it was she was pointing at so she moved her arm closer to where she was pointing and this flat fish that had the exact look of the ocean floor started swimming away. TOTALLY AWESOME. No picture of that fish though.


I kinda imagine scuba diving is what it feels like to be in space. Your body just kind of floats. I learned how to sink to the bottom and then to just swim above the bottom and how to do flips and roll over. We swam with countless schools of fish which was awesome. We swam along a reef, which was BEAUTIFUL. I just loved all the colors and all of the unique things I had never seen before. I completely stopped thinking about my limited air supply pretty early on and just started focusing on making sure I didn't kick or hurt the marine life. We saw tons of fish and it was hard to pick my favorite photos, but here are a few:










My Dive Instructor Ali:

We saw a couple of lobsters.

A Drum Fish (Ali says that divers come out on trips time after time trying to see the drum fish and never do.)
A Blow Fish

And a sting Ray





We saw a lot of really beautiful fish and coral and what I learned from this all is:

I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT TIME I SCUBA DIVE!!!!!!


3 comments:

Adam and Aubrey said...

I am loving your underwater pictures! Looks SO FUN!

The Crookstons said...

That looks like it was so much fun. Those pictures are so pretty. Glad that you had a fun time. Now I am patiently waiting to see the swimming with dolphins pictures.

Alisha LeBaron said...

what a life you live! It all looks like so much fun! We are glad you are home safe and sound! :)