Sunday, June 21, 2009

June 21 - Iganga Childrens Hope Center Orphanage

Today was an AMAZING day in Iganga. We went to an orphanage school called Childrens Hope Center. It was so fun! I helped with a bit of the women’s conference in the morning talking about natural contraceptives and the female hygiene kits – they are so neat I am going to make a million when I come home for these people. Then I played with the kids. That was a BLAST!!!! All the kids at this school save a few are orphans because their parents have died from AIDS. They are some of the cutest kids you have ever seen. I was tickling them and they just started tickling me back. They would follow me around and just “get me” so that I would chase them and get them. I also played a game I have heard so much about here in Africa called “Net Ball.” Very popular game. It’s basically team keep away. It was so fun. They were all yelling out each others names to get the ball so I started yelling “To Jen, To Jen” they loved that I wanted to play since I am a buzunga (white person) so I got the ball, I threw it to someone, and it came back to me… LOL so I had the ball so much! They started to yell, “To Jen, To Jen…” I think some of them thought that was my name. Some realized it was just Jen but the rest called me, “To Jen” the rest of the day. Oh it was so fun. I can’t tell you how much I grew to love those children in just one day.

We took a lunch break in the middle of the game and then when we went back I was in charge of talking to the women about business. Jessica was there to help, so was Violet and John. They were doing so good I just said, “I am going to go play with the kids.” They were happy and I was happy. I loved that they all knew me and wanted to hold my hand and be with me. I played more Net Ball and got completely worn out from running all over the place chasing the kids tickling and getting the ball. Whew. I loved every second though. I took of my shoes and socks tonight and I have a pretty definite line from dirt. It’s bad.

When we left the children sang and danced for us and then they followed us to the van. They stood at the door (with the exception of one trying to climb in) and waved saying, “To Jen, To Jen” the others just waved and said, “Bye Jen.” I was so sad that I will most likely never see these children again. Although I didn’t test eyes or teach about business I felt like giving love and time to those children was very worthwhile and it was an AMAZING INCREDIBLE day!

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY DAD!!!!! Thanks for everything that you do for me and for all of the time and care you put into my happiness! I love you!

3 comments:

the most awesomest adventure ever!!!! said...

Can I just tell you how dang jealous I am of you!!! You've lived my life dream twice now.....it's definitely going on my list of things to do in the very near future! I've got to get some loans paid off though before I can run around traveling again!!! How are you? Everything is good? I sure hope so! Miss you loads and can't wait to hear all about your adventures:)

Mike said...

To jen, i love you and your blog posts. glad you didnt let me stop you although i now feel guilty that i wanted to. i miss you baby but glad you are making a difference. btw i think i am going to have huge reunion with you when you get back. love me.

JN AUTO LLC said...

Jen! You're trip sounds like so much fun! I miss you and can't wait for you to come home though!