Saturday, June 20, 2009

June 19 - Last Day at Byana

Today was my last day at Byana Mary Hill with all the children I love so much! It was a hard day and I almost debated staying there instead of heading to Iganga. However I figured that whenever I leave, whether today or Tuesday I will have to say good-bye to the kids. SO HARD!!!!! I tried to spend all day with the kids and did as much as possible for the time given. I spent all morning interviewing orphans on their lives and what happened to their parents. I hated that job. It was so sad and I tried so hard to not let myself cry because the children looked like they were on break point as it was. I felt like a bad guy stirring up bad memories. These children, for all the love they have in their hearts have definitely had theirs broken more than I could ever imagine.

(I will upload pictures and stories later…)

I played with the kids all afternoon, tickled as many as I could. That’s one of their favorite things that we have done this trip – tickle torture. They all come and stand really close to me and say, “Hello Jen…” and then when I turn to them they start laughing and running so that I will follow after them and catch them to tickle them… SO FUN! I wish everyone could meet them and love them as much as I do – hear their voices and laughs… It’s to die for!

I handed out lots of donations today – school bags made by the Logan Cache Stake Relief Society which were completely loved by all of the kids, candy donated from my mom – every child got a piece just like she wanted, and other bracelets and trinkets I had brought along with me.

I love love love love the kids at Byana Mary and wish I could bring them all home with me to give them love and hugs and tickles every day. It was so nice being there and NOT having a broken leg!

1 comment:

Lorna said...

I am so glad you got to go back, Jen! I just wish I hadn't ruined the last trip...I love you and miss you very much! :)