Friday, March 12, 2010

Spur of the Moment Mexico

After a particularly emotional day at work I decided that I was in great need of a break. I e-mailed some friends in Mexico City and before I knew it, I had purchased a ticket and would soon be on my way to Mexico. I talked to my mom about the trip and was surprised but excited when she decided to come with me. (I always invite her but she rarely is able to come.)

This was the first trip I ever took where my “home airport” was Las Vegas, that in and of itself was exciting since the whole four months so far of living in St. George, I hadn’t visited Vegas once.

The Line family lived in Virginia while I was a missionary they were in the White Oak ward (WOW). We have kept in touch but it’s always so much more fun when you get to visit people and see them face-to-face. They have absolutely adorable kids and it was so good to see them again as well as to meet the new arrivals. The trip in and of itself was worth it just to visit and see them, but they had a lot more planned for us!

Flying into Mexico City was stunning in and of itself. The whole flight there we saw desert and instantly when we reached the city there was a clear line of where desert met the city. Houses packed in like sardines lined the city borders. The drastic change from desert to city was incredible while the colors of the houses were bright and reminded me of a box of crayons.


The airport was absolutely horrible. I didn't speak enough Spanish to get myself anywhere - not to where the Lines were meeting me and not to where my mom was patiently waiting. I kept going in circles and was literally lost without any form of communication. Thankfully we found Brother Line (or he found us) and we made it back to their place safe & sound.

2 comments:

The Crookstons said...

Wow you are just traveling all the time that is exciting. Glad that you got to go with your mom too.

Ashlee said...

Hah! I know all about those Mexico airports and I just cling to Bart while he speaks. My spanish is limited to "Donde esta el bano?".