Saturday, March 13, 2010

Monarch Migration

Today we went and saw the Monarch Migration. It was INCREDIBLE!!! Despite a little vomit and car sickness traveling to the Monarch site (if anyone has ridden in a car in Mexico – I am sure they can comprehend) it was everything I imagined it would be and more! It is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I was so thankful I was able to witness.

We visited the forests of the Mexican state of Michoacán,the monarch's flight to Mexico has been compared to the migration habits of birds flying south for the winter. It is the only insect that can fly 2,500 miles to a warmer climate. Their unique wing structure and yearly life cycle makes it possible for the fall generation monarchs to travel thousands of miles (on those amazing little wings) to the warm nesting grounds of Mexico and southern California.

Each year, hundreds of millions of butterflies travel from the United States and Canada, to winter in forests of Fir and Oyamel trees. Those butterflies that survive the journey, which in some cases amounts to a 2,000 mile trip, cluster profusely in trees, creating a marvelous sight.

Starting in March, the butterflies begin to mate and the pregnant females start their journey north and the cycle begins again. What is amazing to note is it takes from 4 to 5 generations of butterflies to make the journey from the northern regions to Mexico. Those butterflies that do successfully arrive, actually are the great grand-children so to speak of the journey's first butterflies.


To see these amazing insects we rode short horses up to the mountain and then got off to hike in further to where the butterflies were staying. Each of us had a guide that led our horses, I was pretty pleased when my guide handed me the reins and allowed me to be in charge of my own horse. Although my Spanish has definitely gone downhill and I couldn’t understand what he was saying I know that when I made my horse go faster, he was a little worried. So don’t worry, I calmed it down.

When I was looking up the Monarch Migration before going to Mexico City I saw pictures where butterflies completely covered the trees. Imagine how excited I was when I got to see those very pictures in real life up close and personal. BREATHTAKING!!!!!

Here are some photos from the day (there is sort of alot so if you are like some people (ahem) who say once you've seen one butterfly, the rest are all the same - you can just skip the remainder of this post):


















The clumps on the trees that look like thick areas of leaves are actually bunches and bunches of butterflies. Their wings are straight up as they hibernate side by side on the trees throughout the forest.







5 comments:

HeatherAnn said...

That must be beautiful to see! What a great experience.

Ashlee said...

How unbelieveable is that! It's beautiful. Great pics- thanks for sharing.

Reesa said...

So jealous of all your many adventures! I'm glad your mom went with you, what a blast for both of you!

Garity said...

Awe! I've been blog slacking but I'm so glad you posted all this! For the record everyone who reads this...the biggest reason Jen was so sick is because my husband was driving! He makes me car sick even in the US so it has nothing to do with driving in Mexico although I will say Mexico City makes it worse.
OK, off to read the rest of your Mexico adventures! I'm so glad you came to see us! Did you get THE box yet?

Chelsey said...

Those are crazy awesome pictures! You are always doing something cool! When I tell my husband about what you're doing I say "You know my friend who gets to travel everywhere?..." :) Keep posting about your travels, I love it!