Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tanya's Christmas

You might remember the blog post back in October regarding a very special mission companion from Russia named Tanya. Well, she finally arrived, just in time for Christmas!

She arrived at 8:55 PM on Christmas Eve but a woman that she knows from Russia lives only 10 minutes from the airport and picked her up since the weather was bad and the roads were icy.

We picked her up and we took her to the famous Reeder Family Christmas party on Christmas day and then to a sleepover at my parents house where we then celebrated our own "Christmas Morning" on the 26th. We ate way too much food, exchanged gifts, and played endless hours of games. Tanya participated in ALL OF IT! I think some points may have been overwhelming with the number of conversations taking place not to mention the volume of two little girls and ten competitive adults (besides herself) around the game table. But as we drove away and Mike & I headed back to Orem, she said, "That was the best Christmas I have had in my whole life. I love your family so greatly." 

YAY!!!!! Mission accomplished. It was wonderful to share our celebration with her and I am so happy she felt like part of the family since she doesn't have one back home. <3 She cried when she opened our first gift to her. It wasn't anything huge - a necklace - but it must have touched her deeply. I think it was a wonderful reminder to all of us of how much we have and how much more we can give. I hope the next four months are as awesome as Christmas was. Mike & I are happy to have her staying with us.

Her favorite part of the Reeder Christmas Party was the live nativity that took place in the stable by the little children and the singing of "Away In A Manger" that followed and playing Christmas songs on the chimes.
A&A opening their Christmas present from Great Grandparents Jarrett - Brave the movie and Brave Barbie dolls!

Sample of the yummy traditional food that we eat: Sticky rolls for breakfast and yummy Pomegranate Apple salad for dinner:
Tanya was so excited about each and everyone one of her gifts! Here is some of what she got (not all) I think we made it a pretty huge Christmas for her - thanks family and everyone for helping to make it so special for her!

Nesquik - would you believe they do not have it in Russia?
Blanket from Grandpa & Grandma Reeder:
Some slippers from my mom & dad:
Some clothes from Mike & I:
These gloves just looked totally like her style:
And a whole lot of other goodies!
A traditional Russian Cake she brought us from Russia.

Us on Christmas Night
And one last cute story of Christmas. I am sure this is one Alisha would share on her blog - but - I have the photos so I am just gonna go ahead and share one of my favorite parts of Christmas. THIS GIRL RIGHT HERE:
 
"Take a picture of me and mom."
 "Let me see! ... Oh cute! ... Now take a picture of dad!"
 "Let me see! ... Oh cute! ... Now take another picture!"
And it would only be better if you could actually hear her cute little voice saying it! I don't think it gets any better than that!
Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: