Sunday, December 23, 2012

Holiday Lights at Thanksgiving Point

For Nika's birthday we went to the Holiday Lights at Thanksgiving Point. I was really excited, I thought it would be pretty amazing. We used to go to the Spanish Fork Holiday Lights and the Willard Bay Holiday Lights when I was a kid and I had great memories of them; so naturally, I thought the Holiday Lights at Thanksgiving Point would be above and beyond.

They weren't that spectacular actually. They were nice, but nothing I was too thrilled about. Mike & I rode in the back of Alisha & Brian's SUV with Aust and Nika. That may have been our problem. I think that the driver and the passenger get a great view of the lights and can see the whole show - but the people in the back, not so much. We couldn't see anything fully that went over the road, and then the things out the window - we could only see what was on our particular side. This wouldn't normally be a problem, because the Spanish Fork Holiday Lights and the Willard Bay Holiday Lights are displayed in a circle shape. So you can drive around as many times as you want, and then it has a "Q" like line which is where you enter and leave so you can leave whenever you want. The Thanksgiving Point Holiday Lights are in the shape of a "U" so they force you leave. Must be their form of crowd control. Kinda lame. I wasn't impressed. But oh well, now we know.

The lights were still fun, Nika laughed a whole heck of a lot at random displays, like the penguin falling off the igloo.
They had "Santa's Flight School" and a Thanksgiving Point section where they had lights to represent their Dinosaur Museum and the Thanksgiving Point Gardens.
At the end they had the story of the Christ's birth accompanied by photos and then a life-size nativity at the end. That was a nice touch for them to add to their display. I thought a lot how when I was growing up they were always "Christmas Lights," but now, because some people believe "Christmas" is offensive, they have changed the name to be "Holiday Lights." And while Thanksgiving Point calls them "Holiday Lights" to be politically correct, they throw in the nativity at the end - celebrating Christ's birth. I loved that.
Facebook Find
MERRY CHRISTMAS from Mike & I

No comments: