Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cycling Antelope Island

I can't remember biking since Lotoja 2010. So a year and a half later, I pulled out my jersey's, my padded bike shorts, and my bike. Sadly, the tires were completely flat and there were cobwebs all over :( Poor bike.  Just getting it out of the shed got me SO EXCITED though. Just seeing my bike made me think, "I can't wait another day to bike, I am going tonight!" So after I cleaned it up a little and pumped up the tires, I started out towards Antelope Island. 

I wasn't sure how much time I would have but I biked from my house and across the causeway. I decided that I had enough time so I would ride on the 4-mile loop around Antelope Island as well.
It was so beautiful. People have commented on the stench of the water and on the bugs - but really, neither bothered me. I could smell the water when I started across the causeway, but a little further in, I didn't notice it at all. And the bugs had eaten me alive a few days prior when I went out there with Mike, but I don't think I got one bite while I was biking.
There were a couple of bison along the side of the road - one had it's butt towards me and the other was looking straight at me. As I biked past him, I could see his eyes following me. I videoed it, and although I don't think you can tell that his eyes were following me in the video, it still made me a bit nervous. So I went home and looked up "Bison Attacks" on You Tube. Seems Bison are fairly passive until they get spooked and then they will attack. But I did see a few videos of Bison ramming cyclists. I will still bike Antelope Island, I just hope that nothing spooks the Bison as I ride past because I know they could out run me.
Anyway, a few pictures that I took as I was biking along.
It was a beautiful day and so great to be out biking again.
I can't wait for more rides to come this year!

1 comment:

The Crookstons said...

That looks like fun!! It looks like such a pretty place to go biking.