Saturday, May 14, 2011

Movie Reviews

I decided just for fun to write about the last three movies I have seen.

"Soul Surfer" Movie Review







This was one of my favorite movies ever I think. I love true stories and when I see a preview for a movie based on a true story I mark the calendar and wait for it's arrival to theaters. It surprised me that this one was not more popular, it had the inspirational feel of 'Blind Side' and the same feel-good ending. I loved the actors and actresses and thought that Helen Hunt, Dennis Quaid, and AnnaSophia Robb did a fantastic job.

The movie did provide suspense while we anticipated the actual shark attack and then her comeback to surfing. It showed her high's and her low's and I'm sure gave a fairly accurate account of what she was going through, especially when she wanted to give up. Honestly when I wasn't crying, I would look over and Mike was crying. So there was a lot of crying and I think that when a movie can do that to you, it was well done. I follow Bethany Hamilton on Twitter and I read a lot of her interviiews, she and her family had a pretty intricate part in making the movie and I guess they wanted to leave out portions of the movie that focused on her being a Christian. She wanted them left in and although some people attribute that to the reason why the movie isn't more popular, I like those parts and feel like it added to helping the audience understand her perspective and hope.

You can watch the trailer here: Soul Surfer Movie link

the "Fast Five" Movie Review



I really wish that Vin Diesel could reside in Utah. sigh.



Although I LOVE Paul Walker and Vin Diesel Mike was more excited to see this movie than I was. He was counting down to opening night and wanted to see it ASAP. I was excited but not as excited as him. However, this movie was completely AWESOME! I loved it. No matter how excited I am to see a movie, if it's past 9pm, I usually fall asleep (even happened opening night of Harry Potter - depressing); however, I am pleased to say that Fast Five was different. We went at 1015pm and I stayed awake the whole entire time! This movie I thought was comparable to Ocean's 11. It is full of suspense and action and the main story is of the characters plotting a major heist.

Disappointment #1: The Rock was not very handsome at all.

Vin Diesel and Paul Walker were awesome. LOVED IT! Oh! But I won't forget the awkward moments between Vin Diesel and the female police officer. It seems like every time they were both on screen there was a lot of dramatic eye contact. Kind of overplayed I think. But whatever.

This movie was another awesome movie that I would totally recommend. If you go see it - you need to watch the credits until you see Eva Mendes come on screen and make a special announcement. I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT MOVIE!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

You can watch the trailer here: Fast Five Movie link

"Prom" Movie Review







Well, Disney's Prom wasn't really what I expected. I think it was geared towards kids a lot more than I thought it would be. (What was I expecting? No idea.) It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't fantastic. I didn't really think the acting was done all that well. You can wait until it comes to RedBox and be fine.

Prom follows the same movie format as "He's Just Not That Into You" and "Valentine's Day" - it follows a group of kids and four or five different stories. Each one has something different going on in their love lives leading up to prom and I really liked that aspect of it. It is cheesy and the actors and actresses are not super amazing, but it was a good idea for the story line, I really liked that and a good choice for older kids like my "little sister" (from Big Brothers Big Sisters).

You can watch the trailer here: Disney Prom Movie Link

1 comment:

Sara said...

JJ- I really want to go see the surfing one after listening to you rave about it. and I concur- fast five was great! and the Rock is ugly. <3