Sunday, July 22, 2012

June 9: the Tour de Cure 2012 and 10 Year Reunion

I am so tired. It reminds me how I felt on Saturday, June 9. Less than a week after returning home from our vacation to the Dominican Republic and Las Vegas I was spearheading a ten year class reunion and riding the Tour de Cure century bike ride in Brigham City. In my spare time I was trying to plan a wedding and figure out what was happening with my work (government contractor/contract ended).

But I woke up at the crack of dawn, made sure I had everything I would need for the day, and I set out for Brigham City, UT. The Tour de Cure is such a pretty ride. For some reason it always seems windy, but there are lots of mountains and open fields - such excellent scenery when you are going to be sitting on your bum for an extended period of time. This is the route map they gave us:
 This is the elevation map they gave us:
I haven't been putting near enough time in the saddle so my butt hurt pretty bad after the ride. In fact, it was bruised. I hadn't had a bruised behind since Lotoja 2010. Sad. But I did finish and that was awesome. Nobody was waiting for me at the finish line, but thankfully everyone there cheered for me anyway. That was nice. :)
After the ride I went to my grandparents house, I showered and got ready and then I headed to the Lodge at Maddox to set up for the high school reunion.

We set up the computer for the slideshow, checked the sound, set up our check-in table, and people were there (actually people were there before I even arrived (30 minutes early)).

So the agenda was:

Mingle/Soda Bar
Dinner
Slideshow of Updates
People's Choice Awards
Mingle

I think that it went well. Honestly, I was just so happy to have it over. I had a lot of help from people so I am very thankful for that. Ashley Fortune Alder handled all the money and the RSVP's and Leah Nelson Thompson put together the update slideshow. They put it tons of time and I don't know how it would have gotten done without them. The slideshow was a lot of fun, it was fun to see people we went to school with (some now in different countries across the world) and see what they are up to and what they have done in the last 10 years.

We got a photographer to come and take pictures of people as they came. This is me & Ashley - heading up to our area so we could sit and check people in.
Oh! There we are checking people in.
Mike was so good to stand there all night and be there for me. I was busy helping people and so I couldn't really focus an ounce of attention on him and he didn't complain once. What a fabulous man I have got. Handsome and patient!
I heard a lot of people talk about how much they enjoyed it. It definitely was fun for people just to see people again and remember the connection that they had with them in high school and learn what they are up to now. I enjoyed that part and I am glad that other people did too. Good memories surfaced that were almost forgotten.
I left at 9:30 and there was still a large number of people still there talking so I have no idea what time they finally left. I didn't want to drive home so I went back to my grandparents and right after sitting in their recliner, I fell asleep. I could not stay awake for the life of me. I am so happy June 9 is over.

No comments: