Thursday, February 10, 2011

DC Holiday

When I lived in NY my favorite thing about the neighbors were that they were from England. Every vacation they took was a holiday. "We are going on a holiday." I love that phrase. I would like to incorporate it into my every day life if I could. I have actually tried but other Americans just look at me like, "What?!" Sigh. If only I were English. Or at least had the accent... Anyways... More on our DC holiday (eh.. eh... you like that!? ;)

Alli and I slept in. Pretty late actually. And I can't tell you how fabulous it was.

The first thing that we did actually was meet up with some people I taught... FOR LUNCH! (See how amazing that even just sounds.) Mike and Mariann woke up early and went to the Air & Space Museum.

I got to visit Kay and her husband Jordan and their little guy Charles (whom I met for the first time!) I had such a good time catching up with them. Kay and I were very close on my mission. I think my whole family will always feel close to her because while I was teaching Kay in Arlington is when Alisha got married. Kay was actually going to Utah for a bit and she stopped by the wedding reception and stood in line and when she got to Alisha she called me. She said, "Sister Jarrett, I have a surprise for you..." and she handed the phone to Alisha. I remember my mouth just hanging open because I was so surprised and I had started to say, "No, I can't talk to her. But nothing came out. She made it possible for me to talk to Alisha on her wedding night and it was very special! I think we actually just cried for 2 minutes and then hung up because I felt bad about breaking the rules and talking to her when I knew I shouldn't be. But it really was such a blessing. Anyway, I love Kay and she will always be like a sister to me. We went through a lot together. We taught Kay for 9 months. She set a baptism date, had her interview and I got transferred 2 days before her baptism and wasn't able to go back. That was one of the most depressing things EVER! I hate that I can't see her and talk to her more but I am so glad that she is doing well and that she has a wonderful husband and son. She deserves all the best.

Thanks for the incredible lunch Kay and for being the wonderful person and example you are!


I was able to visit one other special friend while I was out there. I dropped everyone off at Arlington Cemetery and Iwo Jima and went to visit Grace. She actually didn't know I was out there so I just called and said, "Hey I was curious what your address is because I wanted to send you a surprise." And boy was she surprised! It was so much fun! She is doing well and it was wonderful to hear her bear her testimony to me. She has been through a lot this past year and it seems the church is the only thing holding her together and giving her faith to move forward. She is a strong woman and another special friend in my life. Her story is much like Kay's in that we tracted into her, taught her for 9 months, set her baptism date, had her interview and the day before her baptism, I was transferred. (Her and Kay had the same baptism date.) I feel like I was in Arlington for these two and ... mission accomplished. (Hahaha - that could be taken literally!)

I MISS MY MISSION BECAUSE I GOT TO SERVE WITH THE BEST PEOPLE EVER! LOOK AT THESE TWO. HOW BLESSED WAS I TO GET TO KNOW THEM!?

No comments: